Purpose: To involve families in hands-on learning experiences that reinforce scientific understanding and promote literacy.
Why Use Science Literacy Bags?
- Foster the connection between home and school
- Reinforce science skills & concepts
- Encourage communication between students and parents
- Provide a “fun” form of homework
How does it work?
- Students take a bag home for one week
- Students and parents complete activities together
- Students and parents write in the journal
- Students return the bag and report findings to the class
A science literacy bag contains:
⇒ Parent letter
⇒ Science Investigation
⇒ Supporting Literature
⇒ Journal for recording observations, information, reflections & parent feedback
⇒ Instructions and materials list
⇒ Integration piece(s) & other activities that tie into the science theme
- Create interest and develop ownership with students
- Always have time for the child to share their experience with the class when they return the bag
- Send home weekly
- Have one day to restock bag contents between trips home
- Send multiple copes of the same bag so that it rotates quickly
- Everyone gets a turn – if a child does not have an opportunity to do the bag activities at home, find another adult to do it with them
- Let the bag replace homework for the week
- Add poems or other resources
- Use a system that works for you: checklist, picture of materials, numbered dots to account for everything, inventory
- Make a master of all consumables before sending the bag home
Digital downloads available on Teachers Pay Teachers.